Friday, June 9, 2017

Celebrating my mother's 80th Birthday. Heaven's not that far away.



My dear sweet mother passed away 15 months ago.  It's still hard to believe she's gone!  Life moves on and grief comes and goes.  This last month my dad got remarried on May 20, 2017.  
The week of Mother's Day was Sunday May 14, 2017.  Last year on mother's day was the day that I found myself prostrate on her grave crying inconsolably.  That day a miracle of sorts occurred.  I actually felt the Holy Spirit come over me and whisper, "Your mother is not in that hole."  Then it was as if I could hear my sweet mother's voice in my mind echoing that very statement.  I could hear my mom saying, "Yeah, Hun!  I'm not in that hole; you know!  You know the plan of salvation.  You know it's true!  Get up.  Wipe your tears and look at the beauty all around you.  My spirit is very much alive and well.  It's so very beautiful here.  I am near you."

This year on Mother's Day it was a little easier.  It's still not my favorite day.  I used to love Mother's Day!  I would get my mom a gift and tell her how much I loved and appreciated her.  I patterned my life after hers and wanted to be just like her.  To me, she was the perfect mother! But this year Mother's Day was the beginning of a difficult, emotionally draining week.  I got through it without too many tears.  I was not excited about my dad's wedding.  His new lady is very nice and sweet.  It was more the timing of it all.  I would think, "Why is dad getting married the same week as mother's day and mom's birthday?  Why?"  

On Wednesday night before mom's birthday I prayed fervently to Heavenly Father.  I asked him; I pleaded with Him.  I needed to feel peaceful about my dad's wedding and feel happy for him.  It's not good to be alone.  I knew that.  I knew that mom was encouraging my dad to remarry.  I just needed to convince my heart of what my mind knew was truth.  The morning of May 18, 2017 I crawled out of bed and again poured my heart out to Heavenly Father.  I asked him to please bless my dear sweet mother that she may have an enjoyable birthday in Heaven.  

I was so surprised and happy to receive a most beautiful gift that day.  As I was working, I could feel my mother's presence. I could feel her happy spirit.  I could hear her kind, uplifting, happy thoughts in my mind.  It sounded just like her voice!  My client commented on my mood that day and said, "Laura, you seem to be in an extra good mood today.  You have a different happy spirit about you.  What happened?"  I knew the truth, but am always a little guarded with whom I share these experiences.   I reluctantly told my client, "Today is my mother's birthday.  She would have turned 80 years old today if she were alive.  But I'm not sad about it because I actually feel my mom right by my side today.  She is with me.  It's so very wonderful!"   My client's response was, "Oh Laura!  You are right!  She IS with you!"

When I got home from working that day mom was still with me.  Two of my daughters were home too.  They noticed my change in mood and behavior as well.  They would say things like, "That sounded just like Grandma."  or  "That's something Grandma would do."  After hearing both of my daughters make these comments, I just couldn't contain myself anymore.  I finally said, "Guess what girls?  Today is your Grandma's birthday.  She would have been 80 years old.  She's here and has been with me all day today.  Let's party!  Who wants to play cards?!"  That's exactly what we did.  We played mom's favorite card games and drank sparkling apple cider in honor of her birthday!

Thanks to a loving Heavenly Father who answers a humble prayer! Thanks to God for allowing my mom's spirit to be with me!  God is real.  God is good. God knows each of His children by name.  There is life after death.  The spirit lives on and is free from the broken body that held it prisoner at death.  When Jesus Christ comes again.  YES!  He will come again!  When that day is here, all of our loved ones who have passed away will be reunited with their bodies.  Jesus led the way.  He died for our sins and paid the ultimate price for us so that justice is served. Jesus was resurrected on the 3rd day. He atoned for us so that we can be resurrected too.  All we have to do is BELIEVE in him. Jesus has mercy for those who believe in Him and follow His ways.

Happy Birthday Mom!  Thank you for teaching me the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I know it's true.


No comments:

Post a Comment